Wish List

Monday, January 6, 2014

Giving Christmas cards a second life...

We get such beautiful Christmas cards from family and friends that I really can't bear to just throw them all out when the holidays are over. But we all know that we can't keep ALL those cards forever! I do save the handmade ones, of course. As a card maker, I know the time and effort that went into making them.

But the purchased ones are also beautiful. I enjoy receiving them and looking at all the different designs and sentiments. To be able to enjoy those pretty Christmas cards for yet another holiday, I turn as many of them as I can into Christmas gift tags. Here are some examples I have made from this year's cards:
These two tags were cut from the same lovely card. You cannot see it in the photo but the windows of all the buildings are a shiny metallic gold and there is some sparkle in the snow.



Here's an example of what I put on the backside of the tag. If the card has a written note that I need to cover up, I simply cut a second tag out of white cardstock and glue it onto the back.

A little festive ribbon is all it took to finish these tags.













Here are two more tags from Christmas cards. I fussy cut the little snowman from the front of a card and popped him up on 1/4 inch pop dots. The little piece of green plaid with a gold border was also cut from another card and adhered to the tag shape, which I cut out of a piece of green cardstock using the Art Philosophy cartridge.

The wintery scene was on the center of a card, so I cut it out with a Lifestyle Crafts lace square die and simply added some glitter around the edge and a sheer ribbon through one of the corner loops.

This happy little snowman was part of a larger Christmas scene on the front of a card, but I thought his smiling face would make a great gift tag. I cut it out with a circle die and then cut a larger circle out of gold cardstock to frame the image. Another white circle on the back provided room for the "to" and "from."

It's a lot of fun to look at, re-read and then make tags out of my Christmas cards. As I continue these little creations, I'll be sharing more of them in the coming months. Do you use your cards for any sort of crafting project after Christmas? I'd love to hear about it if you do.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, I also make tags out of some of my Christmas cards as they make excellent tags and tie ons. In fact I bought a Fiskars tag shaped stencil board to use for just that purpose and because I don't have a cricut or such I will use a scissors to cut out the stencils. It will serve the same purpose and I will still be using those beautiful cards for good. As you know I like to recycle! pj

Sherry Eckblad said...

Your tags are fabulous!