Wish List

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Excited about my new button dies...

I always like to use woodsy elements on my Thanksgiving cards, and here's an example of just such a card:
I used my wood grain embossing folder by Sizzix to emboss some kraft cardstock. Then I inked it up with some Frayed Burlap distress ink to give more of an appearance of real wood. Before I did all that, however, I die cut an oval where I wanted my sentiment to appear.  Then I stamped the sentiment (a Lawn Fawn stamp) with Versamark ink onto the brown mat and embossed it with some off white embossing powder. It looks pretty bright white in this photo, though, doesn't it?

The leaves were cut with my Cricut from the Art Philosophy cartridge and then stamped with the coordinating stamp that came with that bundle.

The little button is what I was most excited about on this card. It's actually made with a little Impression Obsession button die that I purchased on www.diesrus.com. The set contains six little button dies. Now I just have to make sure I don't lose any of them!

Here's what the dies look like, along with a couple extra buttons that I have made:
You can see in the above photo that the buttons have some dimension to them (note the shadow they cast because of their thickness!).  That's because I cut at least four little button shapes and glued them together to form a little thicker button. I think the little pink button actually has five layers. They honestly look like real buttons, but they're still thin enough to easily go through the mail--no extra postage needed, no rigid bumps to tear the envelope. I love that!
The photo above and the one below show the dimension of the buttons. Isn't that cool? When you glue four layers together, they become very sturdy, too.
I've always been reluctant to put buttons on my cards because of the extra postage/hassle to mail them. No more! And now I'll have just the right color of button every time!
 
Here's a look at the inside of the card and the sentiment, which was computer-generated. Please excuse the bad shadow. It has been a dark and dreary day today - no sun at all. It's so hard to get good pictures on a day like this. One of these days I'm going to invest in a little light box for taking photos. If you've got a light box and love it, please leave me a comment about what brand it is. I'd really love to know!!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day!
Cheryl

1 comment:

designbydonna said...

Love that button die set. I have a button punch from Martha Stewart but it only makes large one. I like that they can go through the mail without extra postage or having to go to the post office for hand stamping.