Wish List

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Two cards for men...

Cards for boys and men are always harder for me than cards for women or girls. I know a lot of you feel the same, so I thought I'd share a couple of cards for some male members of my family that I made lately.  The first was a card for a 75th birthday.

I had some wonderful herringbone patterned cardstock that my husband gave me as part of my Christmas gift. In fact it came from a stack of papers that were all male-oriented. I loved it! It's not something I would necessarily have been drawn to in the store, but I really need to have paper like that on hand for cards like this.

I used the Heritage cartridge and my Cricut to cut out the clock at 4 inches.  Since the images in this cartridge don't have layers, I added a couple of hand-cut layers behind the clock face and the pendulum.  Then I added some dimenson and highlights with a gold gel pen (for the pendulum) and some gold liquid pearls.  I also colored the hands of the clock with a black pen. 

The sentiment was computer generated, cut out with a Spellbinders die and inked along the edges. I also added some dark green twine with three brown beads anchoring each end. I used just a little dot of glue that dries clear on each side of the three beads to keep them in place on the twine.
The clock was adhered to the card with foam dimensionals as you can see in the picture on the right.  This was a fun and simple card to make and perfect for a guy, I think!

I always think that men like simpler cards, so here's another card made for a younger member of the family.
I used another paper in a herringbone pattern and added a square of a red plaid paper for interest and a pop of color.  I also decided to use my herringbone embossing folder to emboss a piece of vanilla colored cardstock. I lightly inked it with a red distress ink and adhered it to the center of the card.  I used my Spellbinders ticket die for the sentiment (from a Fiskars set of birthday sentiments) and added a couple of sticky-backed faux brads on the left side.

I used another strip of the red plaid paper  to decorate the inside of the card. I also mimicked the ticket shape (hand cut) for the inside sentiment and inked the edges.

I think both of these cards work well for men. Now I need to work on a few more - lots of guys in my family with birthdays in the coming weeks.

Thanks for stopping by and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day!

Cheryl





No comments: