Wish List

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Welcome to the neighborhood...

My nephew recently bought a home in my neighborhood, and I wanted to take him a little "welcome to the neighborhood" gift.  I decided I needed to decorate a bag to hold the items I had purchased for him.  Since he is still a bachelor, I didn't want it to be too girly, so I selected a kraft paper bag.

I had inherited some wide lace from my mother (a prolific seamstress) years ago and had never used it because of its hideous green color.  I'm sure that's why she hadn't used it, as well!  I wanted to do something different with this bag, so to start, I sprayed the back side of the lace with some adhesive and gently patted it in place across the bottom front of the bag.  After masking off the rest of the bag, I sprayed over the lace with some bronze metallic Maya Mist. After giving the mist a few seconds to set, I then pulled the lace off the bag.  It came off easily and did not tear or mar the bag in any way.  This is something I will definitely try again!
Can you see the lace laying just in front of the bag?

I cut the "Welcome" letters with some Cuttlebug dies, the butterflies were a Spellbinders die, the birdhouse image was a digital image (colored with ProMarkers) that I got long ago - can't even remember where - flowers were the MS 3-in-1 hydrangea punch and the leafy branches were a Sizzix die.

"To the Neighborhood" was spelled out below the birdhouses with some small white alpha stickers that I received from my daughter.

This bag was fun and quick to put together, once I decided what I wanted to do.











Try looking at other lacy items, such as doilies, that could be sprayed over to capture their design.  They would need to be something you weren't planning on using because the spray may not wash out.

Thanks for visiting and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl


No comments: