Wish List

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Happy Birthday with vellum flowers...

I've had this pink vellum sitting in my "special papers" drawer for...well...years! I've been meaning to use it, but I just hadn't quite figured out what to do with it until now.

I used some white embossing powder on the pale pink vellum for these flowers . I did add a bit more color with my ProMarkers to the flower centers on the backs. Then, keeping with my pink and black motif for this card, I added a black gem to each center. I'm not sure if I like that or not. Would a pink, white or clear one have been better?



Here's a little closer lookso you can see how translucent they are. I think this gives them a really delicate look. Love that! The heat-embossing makes them really easy to cut out, too.











One of the fun things I did with this card was to make the front of the card about 2.5 inches shorter than the back of the card. This is a 4.5" X 6" card. I thought the flowers were the perfect way to finish that front edge.

The black gem flourish at the bottom is actually a section cut from a roll of this type of flourish that I picked up at Michael's for a really good price. I think the whole roll was only a dollar!


















Here's a look at the inside of the card. It looks pretty unconventional with the sentiment placed so low, but it seems okay IRL.  There was still plenty of room to write a line at the bottom and sign our names.

I'm linking this card up to the challenge on Capadia Designs to use some item that's been sitting in your craft room for a long time. If you'd like to enter that challenge, you'll find the details here.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

5 comments:

Hannelie said...

Thanks so much for your kind words and welcome as a new follower of desert diva!
I would love to see if you create something with my word art!
This is a beautiful creation... pink black & white always catch my eye!

debby4000 said...

Oh WOW what a gorgeous card.
luv
Debby

Sherry Eckblad said...

Gorgeous card, love the pink flowers and the way the card opens up.

designbydonna said...

Gorgeous! Love the vellum flowers and the way you did the front.

Diane said...

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for accepting the challenge and linking your beautiful card. Isn't it fun to finally use something that you have been hoarding! I think the black gems in the centers of the flowers look great - they tie in nicely with the paper and the swirls on the bottom on the card. Adding some more color with the ProMarkers was a good idea - it gives the flowers a lovely shaded effect.
Thanks again for joining the challenge!