Wish List

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Valentines for boys...

Boys over the age of 6 can be a little tricky when it comes to Valentines. They begin to shy away from the hugs and kisses and "girly" stuff. We have 3 grandsons who are between 7 and 10, so I needed to come up with some Valentine ideas that would work for them.

                                                             Here's one that I think they'll like. I actually made two cards like this.
No hearts, no X's and O's. Just a simple message on the front of the card that lets them know we're proud of them and love them.  The inside is stamped with "Happy Valentine's Day." The guitar-playing fox is cut from the Birthday Bash cartridge and the card and plaid mat were cut with Art Philosophy. I used George to cut out five 1/2" circles and stamped them with the letters for "U ROCK," then adhered them with pop dots. The edges were inked on the fox and the circles, and I also added a little sparkle around the circles with a glitter pen. The same pen was used to draw the strings of the guitar.
 
Now, here's another card that does have a few hearts on the front, but it has a very masculine bi-plane image to counteract the girly hearts.
 
The bi-plane was cut from the Heritage cartridge. I also cut a 1" heart shape (from George) to trace around for the airplane's path.  The cloud paper is some great paper I purchased online. I'm not even sure of the brand, but I love it! Thank goodness I ordered more than one sheet. The three little hearts were punched with a hand-held hole punch that happens to be heart-shaped. It's a really old punch, but it's surprising how often I use these tiny little hearts on cards.
The inside, once again, says "Happy Valentine's Day." 
 
For our two younger grandsons (5 and 3), I made this cute little card.
 
This little dog was cut from the Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge, which my daughter gave me for Christmas. The image was actaully one layer, but it was easy enough to cut two images and then cut one of them apart by hand for the extra layers. There also was no heart included with the image, but again, it was easy to cut one to size and then carefully cut the puppy's mouth line and slip the heart inside. I added a pop dot under the outer edge of the heart to give it a little dimension.
 
Notice how I used those little punched hearts again.  The sentiment was computer generated and the thought bubble was cut from George. I inked up the puppy, gave him a few whiskers and added some black dimensional paint for his eyes and nose.
 
These will be going into the mail soon along with some Valentine treats.
 
Thanks for stopping by today, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

 
 

1 comment:

Shanna said...

Love them!!! I'm expecting to see a couple in my mailbox and can't wait to see them in person! :)