Wish List

Sunday, June 17, 2012

One-color card...

I needed to make a birthday card for a friend, and since she seems to be fond of pastels (judging by the clothes she wears), I thought this card, done in shades of aqua, would be just right.  There is a one-color card challenge during June on Enfys' blog, Going Buggy, and this card meets the criteria so, hey, why not enter it?
First I cut a scalloped rectangle card base with a Lifestyle Crafts lacey rectangle die.  I simply folded some white cardstock in half, placed the die so that it would not cut the fold and ran it through my Cuttlebug.  Then I chose a nice soft shade of aqua cardstock and cut a full rectangle (scalloped edging on all four sides).  I embossed it with  the Textile Texture embossing folder, using a technique so that the embossing did not extend onto the scalloped edging. Before adhering it to the front of the card base, I added a white ribbon across the center of it with sheer aqua ribbon over top, tied into a triple bow.
I cut a round doily shape (Lifestyle Crafts die) from white cardstock and a smaller round circle of the aqua cardstock on which I had stamped a floral image in a darker aqua shade of ink which I also embossed with clear embossing powder.  This stamp was a used stamp that I bought at our local ArtScraps store that sells all sorts of used items, factory overruns, and odds and ends that people donate. It's a great place to find a very good deal on craft supplies.

I actually used some bleach to remove some of the color from the flower petals in the image.  You can see that it didn't remove a lot--in fact very little--but I quite liked the effect. I am always amazed at how differently bleach acts on different types/brands of cardstock.  I added a tiny bit of color back in with a Pastel Aqua ProMarker at the base of each petal and then coated the flower petals with Diamond Glaze.  I also colored the leaves and stems with this same  marker and added a flat-backed pearl to the center of each flower.
On the inside of the card I cut a piece of the aqua CS to fit, stamped it with Happy Birthday and ran a piece of the white ribbon, topped with the aqua ribbon, across the bottom.

The sheer aqua ribbon started out white and I colored it with the Pastel Aqua ProMarker to match the rest of the card. 

This ended up being a very delicate looking card and I do hope the receiver likes it.  I had a lot of fun making it.
Thanks for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day!
Cheryl

2 comments:

craftieodmae said...

Gorgeous!!!!! I love the color!

Enfys said...

This is so very pretty Cheryl, I love the aqua and the embossing. Thanks for entering it into the Going buggy challenge
hugs
Enfys x